Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bowling Quote of the Day--Wayne Webb on Bowling in California

"Being in California for the time that I was there, people don't bowl. People don't even know who bowlers are. I was in a bowling center for all that time, and there was still people that didn't know I bowled for a living and I'm in the pro shop. I come out here [Columbus, Ohio] and everybody knows who the bowlers are, they know my name. They enjoy the game and they want to come bowling."
--Wayne Webb

I live in California, and I know what Wayne is talking about. Even though we have our share of good bowlers and bowling here, bowling certainly isn't as popular as it used to be. If it's more popular elsewhere, the bowler in me would love to live there.

But I'm sorry to see Wayne leave. He had a pro shop here in Sacramento, and I got to know him a little a few years ago. Aside from being one of the best bowlers of all time and now a star on the senior tour, he's a bright and articulate guy.

He also seems to be very knowledgeable about bowling balls. I had him drill three balls for me and one for my wife, to whom he also gave a bowling lesson, and I've never been happier with the fit and results. After watching me bowl one day with my old urethane Blue Hammer, he suggested a ball--Lane #1's Cobalt Bomb, I went with his suggestion, he laid it out and drilled it for me, and the first time I used it, I shot 812 in league. I called him the next day and thanked him.

I wish Wayne all the best in his new home and business venture as well as with his bowling.

No comments:

Post a Comment