Friday, March 19, 2010

Two-Handed Bowler Uses Thumb

I don't know why, but I assumed that all two-handed or twin grip bowlers threw their strike ball without their thumb. But as I listened to the commentary on PBA Xtra Frame this afternoon, I learned that left-handed PBA rookie and exempt two-handed player Cassidy Schaub bowls with his thumb.

I don't know why I'm so surprised by this. Yes, the ball comes off his hand very cleanly, and, yes, it has a million revs, just like Belmo's and Osku's, but Robert Smith can throw a million revs cleanly too. Nevertheless, I am surprised that Cassidy uses his thumb. And he used it to such good effect this week that he made it to the Round of 16 before finally losing to Brian Kretzer in seven games this afternoon.

I think we'll be seeing Cassidy Schaub on TV one of these days. Until then, check him out on Xtra Frame and in the video below.

1 comment:

  1. The second hand basically replaces the thumb. Why complicate the two-handed approach by having the thumb in the ball? One of the beautiful things about two-handing is not worrying about span, thumb fit, and release timing related to the thumb. Revs are secondary. Shooting straighter and more accurately at spares with the thumb in the ball...that's an interesting possibility.

    ReplyDelete