Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Rob Stone "Rips" Jack Jurek

Love him or hate him, ESPN's bowling announcer Rob Stone sure makes an impression.

I started out not liking him at all because he seemed to know nothing about bowling and tried to fill the void with silly wisecracks. But he's grown on me over time as he's learned more about the game and developed a nice rapport with analyst Randy Pedersen.

I still long for the good old days of Chris Schenkel (although, to be honest, he didn't seem to know any more than Rob Stone about bowling, even after decades of covering the sport) or, better still, Denny Schriner, the bowling announcer par excellence. But I no longer want Rob Stone thrown off the telecast the way I did at first.

I'm amused by the love it or hate it reaction that bowlers seem to have to his coining the irreverent term "hambone" for four strikes in a row and to how it's caught on. It has even inspired About.com's bowling writer to post a series of recommended names in his blog for other strike strings.

Bowling "purists" seem to hate the expression, and the less serious seem to love and embrace it. I guess I'm one of the relatively rare individuals closer to the purist end of the spectrum who, while I won't use the term myself, don't mind other people using it. It's too silly for me, but it doesn't bother me a bit if others want to be silly.

Yet, I think the most amusing thing Rob Stone has come up with is the moniker he pinned on Jack Jurek. When Jurek appeared a few weeks ago on the telecast, Stone began calling him Jack "The Ripper" Jurek, and I don't think I've laughed as hard in years as I did when I heard that.

Now I don't know Jack Jurek personally, and I haven't even seen him bowl that many times on TV, but the overwhelming impression I've nevertheless formed of him and his game is that they're about as far away from "ripping" anyone or anything as anyone or anything could be. During Jurek's appearance in the final match of the USBC Masters in 2006, Randy Pederse said, "You look up 'nice guy' in a dictionary, there's a picture of Jack." And that's how he comes across to me.
What's more, unlike power players such as Robert Smith, Sean Rash, Jason Belmonte, and Tommy Jones. Jurek is a much more diminutive stroker of the old school variety. He's a very capable bowler, but his ball seems to nudge the pins over more than it rips them off the deck.

So, Jack "The Ripper" Jurek sounds about as playfully ridiculous as would Mike "The Ripper" Aulby or, for that matter, Wally "The Beast" Cox. Come to think of it, Aulby and Jurek kind of resemble one another in appearance and in the softness, albeit an effective one, of their games. Neither looks like he would or could so much as rip a fly apart much less rip apart pin racks. If you're going to call someone "The Ripper," how about Rudy "The Ripper" Kasimakis for the burly cranker with the intimidating demeanor and pin crushing power?

But Kasimakis' first name isn't Jack, and calling HIM "The Ripper" wouldn't have the delightful irony that leaves me in stitches every time I hear it that Jack "The Ripper" Jurek does. Does Rob Stone appreciate the incongruity of his creation? I don't know. I don't suppose it matters to those of us who do. Does Jack Jurek like his new nickname? I don't know the answer to that either. But I don't suppose there's anything he can do about it even if he doesn't like it. It's going to stick with him for the rest of his life, so he might as well join the rest of us and laugh out loud about it.


6 comments:

  1. Stone didn't come up with the moniker "the ripper". That is is nickname from the league team "the narcissists" that Jack bowls with. I DO hate the term hambone and despise the way Pedersen and Stone refer to amateurs as amadeurs. That's not even a word. The bloody spellchecker even called me out on that one. They are the worst commentators I have ever seen. I heard that televised bowling is in serious trouble. They could start with getting rid of these two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, I wrote this piece over a year ago, but, if anything, I like Stone and Pedersen even more now than I did back then. I think they've both gotten better separately and together. My favorite television team is still Denny Schriner and Mike Durbin, and I love the Xtra Frame duo of Mike J. and Jeff Mark. But I can more than tolerate Stone and Pedersen.

    As for "the ripper," you may well be right that Jurek took on that nickname before Stone started saying it. But I'd be surprised if Stone didn't come up with it on his own. It just sounds like something he'd do to be comically ironic. Wherever it originated, it still cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NAGARJUNA, you are an idiot. Asumptions for an opinion? As goofy as Stone is, you make him look smart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hittfactor, opinions ARE assumptions until they become knowledge, at which time they're no longer opinions. So, put that in your pipe and smoke it till you choke on it, you moron. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Rob and Randy show. They made a dying sport fun again and injected new life and humor into it. There are all kinds of phrases now that we all use on the lanes that came from Stone and it makes it more fun for us all! "Skinny Jeans" "Back to back Jacks" "Hambone!" Yahtzee" "Crack open a Six Pack!" and so on. Here is one we use in our league for a Double that a girl in our league came up with: "Poult!" a baby turkey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the years pass, the more and more I share your sentiment.

      Delete