Thursday, January 21, 2010

What's Wrong With This Picture?

I'm watching the third qualifying round of the TOC. Tony Reyes has just bowled 300 and has moved up to third in the standings. I've bowled in a lot of tournaments in the San Francisco Bay Area in which Tony also bowled. I'd like to see him make the finals.

But one thing I notice as I watch the tournament is the large TOC banner over some of the lanes. It features photos of Chris Barnes, Patrick Allen, and Wes Malott. What's wrong with this picture? Nothing's really wrong with it. All three of these guys are outstanding bowlers, and Chris Barnes is arguably the best in the world at this time.

But where is Walter Ray Williams?
A TOC banner without the winningest PBA bowler of them all is like a day without breakfast. Or a day without dinner. Take your pick. Walter Ray, the champion's champion, belongs on that banner more than anyone. It galls me that the PBA is so hung up on youth and flashiness! I guess they think they need to be in order to attract the largest possible audience. But I'm part of the audience too. I respect bowling tradition and greatness at least as much as I like to watch the young lions of the game. Why can't the PBA do a better job of honoring both? Why do the older champions, including the greatest of them all, get kicked aside even when they're still very competitive?

No comments:

Post a Comment